Monday, January 4, 2010

Queeeeeer.

In my first post, I stated that I'm a feminist lesbian. But, I have a boyfriend. You ask: "How are you gay? You have a boyfriend." Well, there really is a simple answer: I just am. I know, that sounds like an excuse or an evasion of the question, but it is the honest answer. Good ole Webster defines sexual orientation as:

sexual orientation
n.
one's natural preference in sexual partners

The key word there is preference. My preference in sexual partners is women. I prefer to date women, I prefer to be in relationships with women, and I would prefer to marry a woman. However, as it happens, I'm dating a guy right now. I found someone to whom I am attracted, with whom I'm happy, and it just so happens that he likes me right back. This doesn't mean that I am not attracted to women, this doesn't mean that I don't prefer women. I don't like men, I just like Andrew. I don't identify with the term "bisexual", but at the same time, I don't identify with "homosexual" either. If one has to label it, I feel "pansexual" describes it best. Before you ask if that means I'm attracted to pans, let me turn things over to Webster:

pansexual adj.
exhibiting or implying many forms of sexual expression

In other words, I don't discriminate between genders. Bisexuality implies preference, choosing male and female. Pansexuality, on the other hand, is like the come-one-come-all sexuality. It doesn't matter if you are male, female, transexual, or some other gender identity; I fall in love with people, not genitalia. And finally, I didn't choose this, it's just how I feel. It's the thing that I feel best describes me. Sure, the popular thing to do nowadays is to reject labels all that, but I don't mind identifying myself like this. It makes me feel like part of a larger group, makes me feel closer to my gay community.

So, in a nutshell, that's how I am dating a man and I'm still gay.

P.S. Because I've brought him up and all that, I suppose I'll take the time now to say that Andrew and I have been dating for about three months and I'm very happy with how things are going. He's a great guy, and I'm glad I'm with him. He's a terrific boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment