Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thwarting the Runaround

I am full of inadequacy and
full of resentment and
full of jealousy and
crying comes quietly, locked behind doors.

I step forward an inch and fall prey to your
avalanche of progression and see you've moved
further than I in the world we both love like you have some
piece that I don't understand.

I grapple with words and I bend them and
fold them like origami nuisances all
crumpled and creased and I hate that you never
misplace
one
seam.

I watch how you dance with your art on your nimble
twinkle toes and hold your sparkling future lights as they
glow and I drop mine and step on the feet of the damn things I love.

I watch as you do all the things that I do with
more grace and more confidence more self-assurance
and you're not awake in the evening thinking of me in
a green sort of way.

I hate that my fumbling and punctuated stabs at
creativity and originality and poignancy are
cleaved straight in two with a swish of your terrible
pen that is terrible, yes, but great if you're anyone else other than me.

And I hate that he chose you, that he still thinks of you and
I think of him and I wonder what would have been different if
I kept my mouth shut and stayed unhappy, but a different
unhappy where I still had him and didn't try to make things better.

It's plain that you'll always be better at boys and at girls and
at friends and at art and at living the life that I've been dreaming
of with the fire I blame you for dousing and dampen my spirit with
tears that you probably cry better than I've ever cried because tears
are cliche in a poem.

And there's nothing that I could ever do because maybe
you do sit and home and think of me enviously but I'll
never ask and you'll never write silly verses about how great I
am and how you wish you were me and how my words
have perfect origami folds.

Maybe the truth is that we both make seams, we both
make waves and the ripples extend to the places where
we can't see their marks on the beach and we can't see if
our words have the quality of the seawater that makes the
jagged pieces of glass smoothen out and calm themselves down.

Or maybe you just don't think about me at all and I'm
just trying to make things seem better or worse than they
are anything other than just what they are because if things
just are then what I see could be right and maybe
I'm right (but you're righter than me.)




1 comment:

  1. Emily I love this!
    I love how its so poetic and flowing in the beginning and then at the end it like shifts out of the poem into real life... but staying in the poem.
    You got a gift yo! :)

    ReplyDelete