Thursday, August 26, 2010

Happy Birthday

My father would have been 50 today.


I remember talking to him about how long he'd live just a few days before he died. He was ordering his gift from his company celebrating 15 years of employment. Peering over his shoulder, I admired the gifts for 50 years of service. I asked him what he'd like out of those items, and he told he didn't think he'd make it to 50 years at HSBC. And then he said, "I'll at least make it to 50 years old. We can have a big party that I'll hate and get tired at and then I'll make everyone leave early so I can go to bed because it's my birthday and I'm half a century old."

I think of you every day, Dad, in all I do. I carry you in my heart, and it keeps me warm and strong. Thank you for everything you are and everything I am and all that you've created in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment