Monday, February 22, 2010

Well-deserved vacation

I am taking a well-deserved break from the daily grind and visiting Andrew at his college in Dubuque, IA. It's a neat town, quaint and quiet. Perfect college town, except that it's cold and I don't want to walk around campus in the freezing weather. I'm really enjoying spending time here. It's good to spend time with Andrew that's not specifically designated 'date-time'. Since he's here in Iowa most of the time, when he comes home I feel so much pressure to fit in all the couple things I'd like to do with him in the time he has. It's been so nice to have my boyfriend on hand when I need some cuddles, rather than being frustrated at the distance between us.

On the other hand, the not-so-nice thing about this vacation is that I promised Andrew I would finally finish my college essay this week and he won't let me alone about it. I mean, he is right. I do need to get it done, preferably sooner than later, but the idea of writing it overwhelms me. Logically, I know that all I have to do is answer the questions in the prompt clearly, concisely, and honestly. I know that it's just another thing to write, and that's supposed to be my career so what's the big deal, huh!? Stupidly, I keep equating 'college essay' with 'insurmountable hurdle' and can't bring myself to actually do it. Bah. This makes no sense. I even like the prompt. Hell, I love it. It gets to the meat of my thinking, asking why the things that I want to write about would be appealing to anyone else. It asks me what I think about the technological overload in today's society, and how increasing self-distribution has made it more difficult for artists to create something that stands out. It asks me what I think, what I feel, what I want, what I am capable of doing at Columbia. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I LOVE TALKING ABOUT. Why am I having such a hard time here?

Back to it, I suppose, because the real reason I updated is because I am desperate for a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment