Saturday, June 26, 2010

I Believe

I beat my balled fists into my thighs
Rage, Rage, Rage
I do not understand this world

"We believe that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin), custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values."

Huh.

Well, Texas, do you know what I believe? I believe that this is unconscionable, and I do not understand. I simply cannot understand. I do not understand a place where a kiss is a crime, where love is brought under high scrutiny and judgment. I do not understand a world where it is more acceptable to kill a man who falls under a different flag than it is to love him. I do not understand a world where such discrimination is not only tolerated, but touted by millions of misguided individuals. I do not understand a world where man condemns his fellow man.

I believe in the truths that our Founding Father's set forth for us. I reject the idea that all of the men who created the cornerstone of our society at all intended to create a system of exclusion. I believe the immortal words were "all men are created equal", not "all men are created equal, except the ones who boink other dudes." I believe that continuing the cycle of judgement, shame, and mistreatment is perpetuating the abuse that our country is so famous for. Over the last two hundred years, we have realized the grave errors we have committed in the name of the Founding Fathers, or in the name of God. This country, where women were once considered second-class citizens, now has apologized to the entire gender and employed new legislatures, ensuring equality. This country, where Africans were once considered scum, now has apologized to the entire race and employed new legislatures, ensuring equality. We have seen the errors of our ways on issues that once seemed to split the country down the line of right and wrong. It was once normal practice for a woman to submit to her husband, needed only for children and for cooking. It was once normal practice to segregate those of darker skin from the rest of the world, stupidly assuming that being black meant being inferior. There have been pardons, apologies, restitutions DEMANDED from our Government. And now, here we are, divided as a country once more. Do we allow this intolerance to continue, or will we finally learn from the mistakes of our past? Those who do not take the lessons of history into account are doomed to repeat them. As long as America allows those who breed hate and injustice to be the lawmakers, we will never be free from the shadow of oppression.

I am waiting, Uncle Sam. I am waiting for my damn apology. I am waiting, praying for the day when the clouds break and the harsh light of honesty is cast upon these cruel practices. I am waiting for the day when I am allowed to freely love whom I chose and be recognized as an equal citizen of this country. As long as my right to marriage, my right for my partnership or family is considered a "special privilege", I stand disgusted at the actions of this country.

I AM A PERSON. I EXIST, I MATTER, AND I DESERVE THE SAME LIBERTIES AS ALL OTHERS. And no matter how many women I kiss, that won't change. I am waiting, America. I am waiting, Americans. It's time to take matters into our own hands and declare, once and for all, that this behavior is NOT OKAY.

I cannot abide by a country that tolerates this nonsense.


No comments:

Post a Comment